Friday, March 8, 2013

Here we go...


I've been wanting to start this blog for months and I just couldn't bring myself to do it because I wasn't feeling good about anything I was doing. I had this great acrylics class that I really enjoyed, but when it ended I felt lost. Everything I was doing looked contrived because…well, it was contrived!  

I finally realized I'd been trying way too hard. I'd been comparing myself to other great artists and trying to mimic their techniques, but it wasn't working. I seemed to have forgotten that they have their own unique style. And about the time I accepted that, I finally did a painting I felt good about and spent a fraction of the time it had been taking me to create those ugly, contrived pieces. I know I have a lot to learn, but it's the first thing I've felt good about in awhile. 

I know I will find myself struggling again, but hopefully I can catch myself a little quicker next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment